Friday, June 20, 2014

Pet Peeves

Yesterday two of my major "healthy" pet peeves happened. While at my work out class my instructor said she had added an app to track her calories because she wants to lose seven lbs. My first thought, sadly, was quoting Mean Girls in my head "I really want to lose five pounds." Then out of my very own mouth I did one of my own pet peeves, "From where??" I can't stand when people say that! I do not know her body or her BMI or anything to know if she has seven lbs to lose. I do know that she has her master's degree in fitness and if she thinks she has 7 lbs to lose she may very well have 7 lbs to lose. For that I am very sorry. We all have fitness goals and instead of judging her I should be encouraging, unless I really think someone is being too extreme and could cause health issues.
Side note, because she wants to lose 7 lbs she kicked up the class to like boot camp level so I may actually reach my goal weight sooner then planned!

The second pet peeve happened later in the night. I had a salad for dinner and a friend of mine saw it and said "Look at you eating all healthy... While I eat this (insert really bad store bought food)." I couldn't tell if she felt guilty for what she was eating or if she was judging me for not eating bad since she said it in a joking way. I then proceeded to say something like well last week I was in New Orleans so now I have to make up for it. After I replied back to her I started to think, why does it matter? I shouldn't have to justify what I am eating to make her feel better, or justify what I am eating so people don't think I am a crazy healthy person. Truth is I want to be a crazy healthy person that is why I am eating salads! I think next time I may just say "yes I am eating healthy, and I really like this salad and how it makes me feel." It's true, and if it makes people feel bad well then that is probably because they aren't eating to nourish their bodies properly. Maybe they will reevaluate what they eat by my example. That sounds slightly cocky but I just mean they will see a healthy option and choose it over processed, no nutrient foods.

L.


No comments:

Post a Comment